We’re looking for an Associate Media Director to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Advertising Practice Area in an ongoing position focused on electoral advertising (this is not a cycle position).
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run innovative and strategic online advocacy, digital organizing, and electoral campaigns that build grassroots power and create lasting change. We work with progressive groups working on everything from economic justice to climate change to global poverty – think Planned Parenthood, NRDC, big national unions, healthcare advocacy groups, and more. We work exclusively with outside organizations, not candidate campaigns, because our goal is not just to win an election but to build long-term organizing infrastructure that can hold people in power accountable.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to drive the narrative, influence policy, hold corporations and politicians accountable, recruit activists, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might build power. We have a particular focus on developing new models to mobilize infrequent voters of color.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Develop smart digital advertising plans to meet organizing, advocacy, acquisition, persuasion, motivation, and turnout goals, for electoral and issue advocacy campaigns.
- Work with a team of ads managers to implement, manage and QA digital advertising campaigns across our clients. This includes display, video, mobile, search, and Facebook advertising.
- Work closely with M+R’s digital organizing team to develop and execute integrated campaigns to reach electoral and organizing goals.
- Drive client strategy and advertising planning meetings. Confidently present ideas and results to clients.
- Review and monitor media buys – digging in on performance and settings in multiple ad platforms to make recommendations for adjustments to optimize results.
- Evaluate digital advertising performance – review reports and produce analysis and recommendations on campaigns.
- Provide guidance to graphic designers and client teams on effective creative and copy.
- Negotiate terms with advertising vendors, review and finalize contracts, approve invoices for all media buys.
- Research new advertising venues and stay abreast of online advertising trends; develop and maintain relationships with vendors and partners.
- Consistently use findings to inform best practices and train staff.
- Assign and review junior staff deliverables – providing feedback, coaching and guidance at every step.
- Be a visible and vocal presence by actively contributing to our organizational culture and building inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly – including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 5-7 years of digital advertising experience that includes leading digital advertising strategy and media planning for clients in an agency setting.
- At least one cycle working on a political campaign, at a political organization, or political firm.
- Experience running and measuring the impact of persuasion or awareness campaigns.
- Experience running integrated campaigns including paid social, programmatic display and video, and search.
- Experience finding and targeting harder to reach audiences.
- In-depth understanding of how to optimize performance in digital platforms to meet client KPIs, including experience actually pulling the levers yourself.
- Experience developing effective ad creative, in particular geared towards motivating, recruiting or persuading voters.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
- Demonstrated ability to craft meeting agendas to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively – soliciting ideas, seeing each other’s perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience developing and executing strategy for direct response campaigns, whether recruiting supporters or supporting organizing efforts through ads.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary for this position is $100,000.
As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Successful staff at M+R have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation.
We also offer a generous benefits package:
- We offer three weeks vacation, 15 paid sick days, and three personal days.
- Medical benefits with premiums covered by M+R at 100%, and dental and vision benefits with a small employee contribution;
- 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match and quarterly 1.5% employer profit-sharing contributions;
- Flexible work schedules and the option to work remotely within the United States;
- Annual $1,000 professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices are currently closed until April 1. When M+R reopens its offices, staff will have the option to be fully remote within the United States, or work from one of the following M+R office locations:
- 1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
- 11 Park Place, New York, NY
- 262 Washington St, Boston, MA
- 1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
Staff working from an M+R office are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and all staff will be asked to provide information regarding their vaccine status.
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.